Supporting My own Personal Learning, Development, and Network There are many different ways that I can continue to develop my skills as an educator. Virtually, all of these ways of learning are dependent upon forming and maintaining connections with a community of fellow learners. Firstly, I meet regularly with other teacher librarians in my district in both large and small groups. For our last Pro D day, 20 of us or so met and shared two resources each that we enjoyed using in our libraries with students. One of the resources, based on the picture book "Snowflake Bentley", allows students to create their own snowflakes online. It is a moment of wonder for students. The website for this is https://dangries.com/rectangleworld/PaperSnowflake/ I also have the good fortune to have several teacher librarian mentors. Being able to visit their library set ups has been so incredibly...
The Future is Digital and Developing I found this module to be an absolutely fascinating one. It was really special to realize that I am a part of a global community of teacher librarians knit together by a common belief in the power of literacy and the right of all to an education. A Guardian article I read pointed out that of the "320,000 public libraries worldwide, 230,000... are in developing countries" (https://www.theguardian.com/global-development-professionals-network/2013/mar/12/libraries-power-global-development). With 2/3 of libraries in the developing world, I realize just how limited and biased my scope of vision has been. I follow lots of teacher librarians on Twitter, but virtually all of them are in the U.S. or Canada. Consciously seeking to broaden my network of...
Diversifying my Twitter Feed The Developing World Libraries Module was my favourite from the course. It helped show me how blinkered and limited my understanding of teacher librarianship was. Given that, I purposely set out today to diversify my twitter feed to include under-represented voices. In addition to adding many fantastically interesting people to my Twitter Feed, I also learned a few things along the way that I would like to share with you. 1. I started out by using the search term 'teacher librarian' and then adding a further specific topic of interest e.g. 'teacher librarian' and 'Kenya' or teacher librarian and 'LGBTQ'. The results in some cases were q...
Comments
Post a Comment